Prostate cancer, the very common cancer found in American men develops very slowly and do not lead to death in most of the cases. The prostate cancer development risk grows with age and it appears generally over 60 to 65 years of age. The mortality risk in prostate cancer is about 16 to 20 per cent.
Causes of Prostate Cancer –
Although the cause or rather the causes of prostate cancer are still unknown we can atleast consider the following circumstances that are linked closely with prostate cancer –
- The prostate cancer risk is most in African-American men
- Increasing age
- Previous family history of prostate cancer
- Heavy dietary fat
- Smoking habits
- Genetic factors
- Professional exposure to cadmium
- Socio-economic status
- Sexually transmitted diseases
Symptoms of Prostate cancer –
Prostate cancer do not show signs of its existence in primary stage but gradually as the disease grows it starts to show following symptoms –
- Burning sensation while urinating
- Blood in urine
- Pain while urine passing
- Other difficulties while urinating
- Frequent urination
- Bone pain
- Inflammation of legs
Diagnosis of prostate cancer –
Iit is very much possible to treat prostate cancer if it is detected at an early stage because with time the complications grow. There are various methods to diagnose prostate cancer, such as –
- Screening test – screening test is applied to detect prostate cancer in a very early stage, even before the symptoms start to show.
- Prostate Specific Antigen or PSA – it is a kind of blood test. High PSA blood level indicates the probability of developing prostate cancer.
- Digital Rectal Examination – this is a part of the routine check up for prostate cancer. The digital rectal examination can diagnose lesions in prostate and rectum.
Once the prostate cancer is detected the treatment measure should be started as soon as possible.