Congestive heart failures (CHF), often called Heart failure (HF) can be defined as the incapability of heart to pump sufficient blood to fulfill the needs of body. It is a common, costly and life threatening disease. In present world 2 per cent of adults all over the developing countries are suffering from heart failure. Among people over the age of 65 years the risk is 6 to 10 per cent.
Causes of Heart failure:
The most common cause of Heart failure are quite difficult to detect because of challenges in diagnosis, differences appear with age, different population density etc. however, after 19 years of study following causes for HF has come forward –
- Ischaemic heart disease
- Valvular heart diseases
- Dilated cardiomyopathy
- Infiltrations of muscles like amyloidosis
- Viral myocarditis
- HIV cardiomyopathy
- Alcohol consumption
- Arrhythmias etc.
Symptoms of Heart Failure:
The symptoms of heart failure varies according to the types of heart failure, such as –
- Left –Side Failure – the general signs for left side heart failure are respiratory distress, increasing pace of breathing, crackles, cyanosis, displayed apex beat and heart murmurs.
- Right – Side Failure – general signs for right side heart failure are peripheral edema, ascites and hepatomegaly.
However, these are only some general signs of heart failure. But one is recommended to consult immediately after he or she suspects to have a heart failure.
Types of Heart failure:
There are many types of heart failure, such as –
- The left (side of ) heart failure – this includes insufficient blood flow to body and brain.
- The right (side of ) heart failure – this causes insufficient blood flow to lungs.
- Sometimes Heart failure is simply caused by insufficient relaxation or insufficient contraction of heart.
- Sometimes heart failure takes place due to various coexisting illnesses like heart failure with hypertension, heart failure with diabetes, heart failure with renal failure etc.
Despite this there are many heart failure type according to their nature and causes.