Gynecomastia is growth of the gland tissue of the male breast. In the course of childhood, youth and in grown-up to old age, it is a very ordinary disease. Gynecomastia must be illustrious from pseudogynecomastia which denotes to the existence of fat deposits in the breast of overweight people. The factual gynecomastia develops from enlargement of the breast tissue or glandular which exists in a very small shape in every man.
Causes of gynecomastia:-
Numerous medical situations may also effect in gynecomastia:
- Other circumstances which are related with a changed hormonal situation in the body and may be linked with gynecomastia are hyperthyroidism and continual renal stoppage. Seldom, hormones may be produced by cancers except testicular tumors and this may be the reason of gynecomastia.
- Complaints of the male sex organs (tests) may effect in reduced testosterone production and rather high estrogen stages, going ahead to gynecomastia. These syndromes may be hereditary, as for example Klinefelter’s syndrome or get hold of owing to infection, aging, trauma or lower blood flow. Testicular cancers may also conceal hormones which is the reason of gynecomastia.
- Re-feeding (revival from malnutrition) and starvation, both are the cause of hormonal situation which may direct to gynecomastia. On the other hand, cirrhosis of the liver changes regular hormone metabolism and may go ahead to gynecomastia.
The use of various medicines may also be the result of Gynecomastia. Illustrations of medicines which are linked with gynecomastia are furnished below:
- Calcium channel blockers used to cure hypertension [viz. nifedipine (Procardia and others)]
- Anti-ulcer drugs [as for example, cimetidine (tagamet), omeprazole (prilosec) and ranitidine (zantac)].
- ACE inhibitor drugs for hypertension [enalapril (vasotec), captopril (capoten)]
- Spironolactone (Aldactone), a diuretic that has anti-androgenic action
- Various antibiotics [such as metronidazole (flagyl), isoniazid and ketoconazole (Nizoral, Extina, Xolegel, Kuric).